As you have probably heard, Apple released the details of the iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus and the AppleWatch last night. Along with these releases, Apple also released the “Gold Master” version of iOS 8 to developers. Now, if you’re like me and you want to get your hands on iOS 8 GM early, here’s what you need to do…
Before you carry on with the steps below, please be aware that you are doing this AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Download iOS 8 GM Now!
1. Update iTunes
First, you need to make sure you are running iTunes version 11.4. If you are not, update your iTunes by either running the “Apple Software Update” on your PC, or download it from the Apple website here.
2. Download iOS 8 GM for Your Device
Select a link from the list below for your device and device model. If you are unsure of your device model, check the back of your device. There you will find the model, i.e.: A1530. Make sure you save this “IPSW” file in a place you can easily find it, as you will need to find this file in a next step.
The model of the device should be found somewhere around the right side. Something like this:
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533) – MEGA 1, MEGA 2, Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530) – MEGA, Google Drive, Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532) – Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529) – Torrent 1, Torrent 2
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428) – MEGA, Google Drive, Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429) – MEGA, Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3, Torrent 4, Yandex Disk
- iPhone 4s – Google Drive, Torrent 1, Torrent 2, Torrent 3
- Pad Air (Model A1474) – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad Air (Model A1475) – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad Air (Model A1476) – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad mini (Model A1489) – Yandex Disk
- iPad mini (Model A1490) – Torrent
- iPad mini (Model A1491) – Torrent
- iPad 4 Wi-Fi (Model A1458) – Bayfiles, Torrent 1, Torrent 2
- iPad 4 (Model A1459) – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad 4 (Model A1460) – Torrent
- iPad mini (Model A1432) – Torrent 1, Torrent 2
- iPad mini (Model A1454) – Torrent
- iPad mini (Model A1455) – Torrent
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (AT&T) – Bayfiles, Torrent
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (Verizon Wireless) – MEGA, Torrent
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi – Torrent
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A) – MEGA, Torrent
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM) – MEGA, Torrent
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA) – MEGA, Torrent
3. Backup! Backup! Backup!
Once you have downloaded and updated your iTunes, make sure you back up your device to iTunes. Plug in your device, right click on the device name and select “Backup Now”.
4. Install iOS 8 GM
Make sure your device is plugged into your PC or Mac and look for its name to appear on the left sidebar. Once you can see the name of your device in this sidebar, click on it to show the main summary tab for our device.
Mac Users, Hold down the Option Key while clicking…
Windows Users, Hold down the Shift button while clicking…
Once you are on this summary tab, you will see a “Check for Update” and “Restore iPhone” buttons. Use the “Check for Update” option to update your device, or the “Restore iPhone” option to wipe your device and install a the update.
On a Mac, hold down the Option key and click either “Check for update “Restore iPhone…” For Windows users, hold Shift while clicking. This will allow you to browse to where you have saved the iOS 8 GM IPSW file you downloaded earlier. Select it and click “Open”.
A window will pop up confirming the action. Click on “Update”
Sit Back and Wait
Your device will now follow the usual process to install the iOS 8 GM update as it usually does with other iOS updates.
Once the device has finished installing iOS 8 GM, it will guide you through the rest of the setup process.
Enjoy iOS 8 GM
Expect an update on Wednesday 17 September 2014, which will be available by updating your device the usual way, as Apple will be releasing the public release of iOS 8.
Always remember, give a jackass an education and you’ll have a smartass!